Our Ref: HSR/1/8
Head Office Circular: NP/104/22
22nd April 2022
To: The Secretary
ALL SHIPPING BRANCHES
CAMPAIGN FOR WHOLE BODY VIBRATION (WBV) AS AN INDUSTRIAL DISEASE
Further to the decision of the RMT National Bus Workers’ Industrial Organising Conference last year, your National Executive Committee, at its meeting on 21st April, noted and adopted the following report from its Health and Safety Sub-committee:
We note with concern the health impact that whole-body vibration can have on our members who are exposed to vibration.
In relation to this we instruct the General Secretary to develop an RMT education programme to address the concerns about Whole Body Vibration as a health and safety issue, including the following:
• Creating policy and guidelines for all Health and Safety reps on industrial diseases
• Campaigning on the effects of WBV on drivers in the bus industries with the bus operators and all other employers where our members will be affected by such issues.
• Development of a campaign for whole body vibration as an industrial disease
• Development and training method of understanding whole body vibration of all RMT health and safety reps
• Writing to all employers where we have recognition to remind them of their duties as regards assessment of risk as per the Control of Vibration at Work Regs 2005. In respect to maritime the relevant legislation being The Merchant Shipping and Fishing Vessels (Control of Vibration at Work) Regulations 2007 (SI 2007/3077) (the “Vibration Regulations” and asking employers what measures they have in place to safeguard our members from harm from the impact of vibration.
Branches and Regional Councils to be advised accordingly.
I am acting in accordance with these instructions.
Please bring the contents of this circular to the attention of relevant members.