Our Ref: HSR/4/2
Head Office Circular: NP/063/16
16th February 2016
ALL REGIONAL COUNCILS
NETWORK RAIL – ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES PROGRAMME (PDSW/SWL)
Further to Head Office Circular NP/027/16, 21st January 2016, the National Executive Committee have considered reports from our representatives into a workshop held by the company as part of its process to examine the failure of Planning and Delivery of Safe Work/Safe Work Leader in the East Midlands. The NEC have noted and adopted the following report from their Health and Safety Sub-committee:
That noting the reports on file from our Representatives that have attended the workshops and the further meeting in Derby today we instruct as follows:
• That the General Secretary write to Network Rail stating our dissatisfaction at the way this matter is being handled and at the complete lack of clarity as to how the matter is being taken forward.
• The letter to also note our concern at the multitude of planned workshops and sessions planned by Network Rail across the country with no coherent remit and that other organisations have been granted full-time release Reps for the programme, some from management grades, who have no experience and little involvement in the PDSW/SWL until now. We fear that the current process is just a means of providing cover for a re-dressed SWL system with Proscient IT added. It does not seem to be a fresh start on designing a safer system as promised.
• The General Secretary is to arrange an urgent meeting with Network Rail where our Union should table a request for a clear remit and direction statement, agreed with this Union, as to how this issue will be taken forward.
• Until such time as an agreed remit is achieved, we instruct that our Representatives and members throughout Network Rail are not to participate in, or attend, any of the workshops or sessions until further notice. Once the meeting with Network Rail has taken place further instructions will be issued.
• Finally, Network Rail are to be reminded that we remain in dispute on this issue.
Branches, Regional Councils and Representatives to be advised of this decision.
Please bring the contents of this circular to the attention of all relevant members.
Our Ref: HSR/4/2