Head Office Circular NP/156/21
Our Ref: HSR/2/15
14th May 2021
To: The Secretary
ALL REGIONAL COUNCILS
NETWORK RAIL CROSSING THE LINE PROCEDURE
Further to Head Office Circular NP/138/21, dated 29th April 2021, at its meeting on 11th May your National Executive Committee (NEC) noted the following report from its Health and Safety Sub-committee:
That we note a meeting has taken place with our Representatives.
Having considered the issues, including signaller workload, we are of the view that:
• Risk Assessments should include real consideration of the signals being placed at danger.
• The Risk Assessments should consider the process as a hierarchy where the signal being placed at danger is considered as the first option.
• That the maximum time that the signaller should be on the call while the persons are actually crossing the track should be limited to 2 minutes.
• That the Crossing the Line Procedure should not serve to replace necessary line blockages where they are currently required or may be required in future.
• That Risk Assessments should be freely provided to our Lead H&S Reps.
Finally, in assessing and creating the Crossing the Line processes they should not be allowed to create, as a side-effect or consequence, increased unsocial or night working.
I am acting in accordance with these instructions and will keep you advised of developments.
Please bring the contents of this Circular to the attention of relevant members.