Our ref: HSR/2/11
Head Office Circular: NP/156/23
5th September 2023
To: The Secretary
RAILHUB – MANAGING THE RISKS FOR RUNAWAYS
I write to advise members of the below runaway, which could have of ended in fatalities if staff had been working within the below area without protection in place:
A Significant Event, a runaway of wagons, has happened at Kingmoor AHD. (IRIS 30590, CCIL: 2719594)
At 10:20 on 24/08/2023 a rake of 12x NA-U (similar to Mussel) type wagons owned by Land Recovery ran away 130ft at Kingmoor depot.
The wagons had been placed in a position to commence loading of aggregate.
The Colas locomotive that had brought the train in, had been detached to refuel and stabled.
Whilst the investigation will determine, it is possible that the handbrakes on the wagons had not been fully applied by the haulier.
During the loading operation, the load operatives noticed that the wagon rake started to move indicating an ‘uncontrolled movement of rolling stock’ i.e. a runaway event had commenced.
In reacting to the runaway situation, the two machine operators attempted to use the loading shovel to stop the wagons. This involved resting the loader bucket on top of the wagon body.
The operator quickly identified that their actions were not going to prevent the runaway.
Operators instinctively then positioned loading shovels in a position of safety and attempted to apply the hand brakes on two of the wagon within the runaway rake of wagons.
Wagon rake eventually came to a standstill.
DB Cargo PICT (Person in Charge of Train) were informed and subsequently attended site to secure wagon rake from risk of further movement.
- Runaway distance = 130ft
- NOC notified.
- NOC advised RAIB & ORR notified – not attending.
- AHD Loading Operatives ‘FOR-cause’ / D&A tested = both negative
- Site activities suspended pending investigation
- Wagon type (JNA-U) – all Network Rail AHD/MHD loading operations have been suspended pending of outcomes from investigation
- Safety Stand Down on the risk pertaining to the importance of obtaining assurance that rolling stock is secure prior to activities relating to loading, unloading, testing and maintenance.
- Colas and NR investigations underway.
- Significant Event Review planned for 29 August at 11:30. Route Services SHEQ Team to arrange.
View of wagons position when come to a stand across points.
Sign on side of wagons
Wagon brake status indicator.
View from wagons towards buffer.
Please bring the contents of this circular to the attention of relevant members.