Head Office Circular NP/107/21
Our Ref: HSR/1/3
7th April 2021
ALL REGIONAL COUNCILS
WORKPLACE SAFETY GUIDANCE – THIRD LOCKDOWN
I write in connection with the following resolution from Wessex Regional Council:
Members of Wessex Regional Council ask that the National Executive Committee instructs the relevant officers to urgently consult with all the companies that they have lead officer responsibilities for, with regards to updating the workplace safety guidance during this third lockdown.
Current protective measures recommended for many; particularly public-facing workers are inadequate. New strains of the virus emerging from England, South Africa and Brazil are significantly more transmissible than the initial strain of Covid - 19.
We ask employers to update the workplace safety guidance in line with TUC guidelines to:
• Reduce the number of people permitted in a space at any one time, to aid ventilation and social distancing.
• Return to 2m social distancing wherever possible, removing the confusion about 1.5m social distancing.
• Increase ventilation of indoor workplaces with outside air - CINSE recommends at least 10 litres per second per person.
• Expand the number of jobs where workers should use FFP3 face masks, removing 99 % of particles and ensure enough are available.
• Reduce staffing levels, where applicable, in line with customer service requirements and footfall.
• Only staff needed to run an essential service should be required to travel to and from work and attend the workplace.
This emergency motion requires prompt consideration and relevant action.
At its meeting on 1 April 2021 your National Executive Committee (NEC) noted and adopted the following report of its Health and Safety sub-committee:
We note the resolution from the Wessex Regional Council. RMT already has policy on many of the issues identified and matters are being raised with companies as per the resolution.
Branches and Regional Councils to be advised.
I am acting in accordance with these instructions and will keep you advised of any developments.