TO ALL TAXI BRANCHES
22nd December 2020
New DfT guidance for taxi drivers regarding Tier 4 restrictions
As you will know, over the weekend, the government announced new restrictions to try to limit the spread of the coronavirus, including the creation of a new Tier 4. For passengers, this means,
- People living in a tier 4 area must stay at home and not leave their tier 4 area to travel within the UK or internationally, except for a limited number of legally permitted reasons including work, education and caring purposes.
- People can still travel through a tier 4 area if necessary but they should not stop or stay overnight unless for a legally exempted reason.
- Travellers can continue to travel into the UK from abroad but they should follow regulations and guidance in place at their destination
- Anyone living in other tiers in England are advised to stay local and avoid travelling outside of their area, such as their village or town, or part of a city they live in, where possible.
- People in other tiers are also encouraged to carefully consider whether they need to travel abroad.
Following the weekend’s announcement the Department for Transport has issued updated guidance to transport operators, including taxi and private hire vehicle drivers.
This guidance covers instructions on operating with or within the new Tier 4 areas, guidance on safe carriage of passengers and direction to the financial packages available to drivers during the pandemic.
Read the DfT’s full guidance for taxi drivers here:https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-taxis-and-phvs
Your union has continued to press government for more support for the trade, in terms of short-term funding and longer term measures to address the key issues facing our members.
You can read our guidance on safety and what RMT has been is doing to get support for the trade here: