Circular No: NP/169/19
TO ALL BRANCHES & REGIONAL COUNCILS.
23rd September 2019
RMT Support for ‘We Own It’
Your Union has recently has recently decided to make a national donation to support the work of the organisation We Own It, which campaigns for the nationalisation of public services including the railways.
I wish to draw your attention to the below message, from Cat Hobbs, the director of We Own It, in regards to Branch level support for the organisation.
“Dear comrades at the RMT,
I’m writing to you from We Own It, an organisation which campaigns for public services for people not profit.
We are very grateful that the RMT has been fighting for public ownership of the railways for so many years.
RMT initiated the ‘Rebuilding Rail’ project with other unions and Transport for Quality of Life. This 2012 report has been incredibly helpful to us – we’ve quoted savings from public ownership of rail using this figure ever since!
We Own It launched in 2013 to make the case for public ownership. We win campaigns, we have a nearly 50,000 strong newsletter, a strong social media presence and we regularly appear in the media to talk about rail.
Public ownership of the railway is supported by 76% of the UK population! Our new report ‘When We Own It: A model for public ownership in the 21st century’ sets out how we think this could work.
We’ve been campaigning alongside the RMT since 2013:
- Protesting outside stations against rail fare increases
- Campaigning against privatisation of Network Rail, station sell offs and for the East Coast line to be brought into public ownership
- Carrying out polling showing public support for public ownership
With the possibility of a Labour government which could introduce public ownership of the railway after thirty years of failed privatisation, we’re working hard to make the case with you.
We need YOUR support to maximise our impact. RMT has kindly agreed to make a national donation towards our work. Will your branch do the same?
We are planning:
- To help activists on the doorstep to make the case for public ownership of rail, with web resources and a doorstep guide for using during an election
- To lobby the government during its rail review while watching out for new campaigning threats and opportunities
- To boost the case for public ownership of rail in the media and on social media with new graphics and videos
Will you make a donation? Your branch can donate by:
- Sending a cheque to We Own It, The Old Music Hall, 106-108 Cowley Road, Oxford, OX4 1JE.
- Making a bank transfer to We Own It Ltd, Sort code: 08-92-99, Account number: 65608382
- Individual RMT members can also set up a regular donation here https://weownit.org.uk/act-now/donate
Please also join the campaign and let’s work together to make this happen:
- Sign up to our newsletter https://weownit.org.uk/people-not-profit
- Follow us on facebook facebook.com/weownitcampaign and twitter @we_ownit
We look forward to campaigning together for a publicly owned railway! Thank you so much for taking the time to consider this request.
Cat Hobbs, Director, We Own It”