C2C is consulting on proposals to reduce ticket office opening hours at 25 stations across the network, which would leave many ticket offices closed for large parts of the day and closed altogether at the weekends at some stations. Many of the ticket offices are facing cuts in excess of 9 hours a day during Monday – Friday.
The ticket offices affected are:
Barking, Basildon, Benfleet, Chafford Hundred, Chalkwell, Dagenham Dock, East Tilbury, Fenchurch Street, Grays, Laindon, Leigh-on-Sea, Limehouse, Ockendon, Pitsea, Purfleet, Rainham, Shoeburyness, Southend Central, Southend East, Stanford-le-Hope, Thorpe Bay, Tilbury Town, Upminster, West Horndon, Westcliff
The RMT firmly believes that these proposals, if implemented, would negatively impact on the passenger experience. C2C states that these proposals address ‘cost inefficiencies’ – clearly this is about profit rather than passengers.
The RMT is opposing the planned cuts on a number of grounds, including:
• Stations will become less safe, secure and accessible. Passenger responses to surveys identify staff presence as important for providing assurance.
• Not all tickets and services are available from Ticket Vending Machines – the C2C consultation even admits this is the case.
• Passengers will not be able to get the same level of customer service and information when the ticket offices are closed.
• Many passengers, including some elderly and disabled passengers, would experience difficulties purchasing tickets and getting advice.
• It will be easier for the company to cut hours even further in the future.
Please support the campaign to oppose these short-sighted and damaging cuts to ticket office hours.
A model letter to submit to the consultation is available on the RMT website – please note there are two versions of the letter, depending on which station/s you wish to respond about. If you want to object to all the proposals, please send a letter to both London Travelwatch and Transport Focus.
To email Transport Focus to oppose the closures at Basildon, Benfleet, Chalkwell, East Tilbury, Laindon, Leigh-on-Sea, Pitsea, Shoeburyness, Southend Central, Southend East, Stanford-le-Hope, Thorpe Bay, Tilbury Town, West Horndon, Westcliff, CLICK HERE
To email London Travel Watch to oppose the closures at Barking, Chafford Hundred, Dagenham Dock, Fenchurch Street, Grays, Limehouse, Ockendon, Purfleet, Rainham, Upminster CLICK HERE
The deadline for responding is Monday 21st October – please submit your response before this date.