RMT has launched a campaign against dangerous government-driven cuts of over a billion pounds to the Network Rail funding for the next Railway Control Period 7 (CP7) from 2024 to 2029 for vital safety-critical railway infrastructure work. These cuts include:
- Funding cuts to renewals expenditure for CP7 of £1.2 billion in England and Wales and £315 million in Scotland for the next five years.
- Abolition of the Track Renewal Service (TRS) organisation within Network Rail supply chain cutting 500 highly skilled jobs and outsourcing operations to private infrastructure companies
- Cuts to maintenance on track, signalling and other assets at a time of increased degradation of railway infrastructure at a time of extreme weather events such as the one which caused the Carmont 2020 rail disaster
- A reduction in railway renewals and an increased reliance on railway maintenance which will lead to an increase in safety risks and a reduction in performance.
In a recent survey of Network Rail maintenance of RMT members , a vast majority believe that there is an increased risk of a major rail safety incident occurring on the railway within the next two years due to broken rails and ageing infrastructure
Take action today!
- Here's the write to your Westminster MP online action: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/email-your-mp-stop-the-cuts-to-our-railway
- Here's the write to your Scottish MSP online action: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/email-your-msp-stop-the-cuts-to-our-railway