New Education Course - Mental Health Awareness
Login and add to My RMT
Circular No. NP/031/14
11th February 2014
To: All Branches & Regional Councils, Regional Organisers and Head Office Officers & Staff.
NEW EDUCATION COURSE – MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS.
The issue of mental illness is often seen as too difficult to deal with even if it’s recognised in the first place and yet it is extremely common. The RMT are piloting a new course over three days at the RMT Education Centre on ‘Mental Health Awareness’. The course will begin on Tuesday 8th April (13.30hrs) and finish on Thursday 10th April (15.00hrs) 2014.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Mental health and society, an overview (linked to the cuts agenda)
- What is mental health?
- Images and impacts of mental ill-health (work, union and society)
- Workplace discrimination
- Equality Law - (focus mainly on disability discrimination)
- Case Studies - negotiating on mental health
- Stress an overview
- Introduction to research projects
- Delivery of mental health research project
- Explore remedies
- Planning to support RMT reps
- Action planning for mental health in the workplace
The course is also accredited to NOCN Level 2.
This initial course is open to all RMT members and the attached application form should be submitted if you wish to attend. If successful this course will be offered on further dates and to Regional Councils to be run locally.