13 December 2021
RMT Press Office
TRANSPORT UNION RMT will be protesting outside Parliament on Wednesday against “swingeing cuts” to South Western Railway (SWR) services.
The protest marks twelve months until the new timetable will be implemented in December 2022 in which SWR and Network Rail are proposing to make wholesale cuts to services across the SWR Network using the Covid-19 pandemic as a cover to reduce services and launch an attack on jobs and conditions.
SWR and Network Rail consulted stakeholders over the Summer and are proposing cutting up to 15% of peak and off-peak services from pre-pandemic levels.
RMT General Secretary Mick Lynch said:
“These cuts to SWR services are regressive and entirely short-sighted.
“In the year that the UK hosted vital climate talks at COP26 cutting rail services is sending a terrible message that public transport is expendable and not part of the solution to the climate crisis.
“Grant Shapps is behaving more like Grinch Shapps and trying to steal our rail services at Christmas and on Wednesday we will be sending a strong and clear message that we will not accept and cuts to railway services or attacks to our member’s jobs, pay or conditions.”
• “Grinch Shapps” will be available for a photocall outside Parliament at 1pm at Old Palace Yard
South Western Rail proposed cutting the following:
• A total of 13 per cent of high peak trains per hour to London.
• A total of 14 per cent of Off-peak trains per hour to London.
• A total of 14 per cent of Main Suburban AM peak trains per hour to London.
• A total of 14 per cent of Main Suburban off peak trains per hour to London.