17 January 2017
RMT Press Office:
RMT says Britain's transport assets being knocked down like "Del Boy at some dodgy car boot sale" as Abellio sells 40% share in Greater Anglia to Mitsui.
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:
“Following on from National Express sale of the c2c franchise to Trenitalia, this latest sell off by Abellio of a chunk of the Greater Anglia franchise to Mitsui shows that the Britain's rail network is up constantly for grabs making a mockery of the expensive DfT franchising process.
“The checks and balances for both passengers and the taxpayer, which the DfT claims are enshrined in its multi-million pound franchising programme, are clearly lacking when the winning bidder can simply walk away, share out its responsibilities and choose its replacement whenever it sees fit. They are flogging off Britain's transport assets like Derek Trotter at some dodgy car boot sale.”
Photo Credit: By Geof Sheppard (Own work) CC BY-SA 4.0 (http, via Wikimedia Commons
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: greater anglia, abellio, mitsui, national express, c2c, trenitalia
- RMT demands that Government crack on with rail nationalisation
- Scottish Government set to reward ScotRail failure
- RMT slams company for failing to take new variant of COVID seriously
- RMT on news that Scottish Government to consult on future of rail franchising
- Coalition call for public ownership of Scotland’s railway