22 January 2018
RMT Press Office:
As Chris Grayling is called before Transport Committee to explain rail electrification fiasco today RMT sets out full charge sheet against "specialist in failure" Transport Secretary.
As Chris Grayling is called before Transport Committee to explain rail electrification fiasco today RMT sets out full charge sheet against "specialist in failure" Transport Secretary
As Transport Secretary Chris Grayling is hauled before the Transport Select Committee today, Monday 22nd January, to explain the fiasco over the cancellation of crucial rail electrification projects, transport union RMT has demanded that the full charge sheet against the “specialist in failure” transport secretary is taken into account:
· Failure to spot and take action in advance of the collapse of Carillion despite repeated warnings that the company were in dire trouble.
· Failure to engage in serious talks with the trade unions in the on-going guards’ disputes in England despite politicians in Wales and Scotland taking a leading role in brokering solutions on the same issue of rail safety and the guard guarantee.
· Failure to take action to tackle the basket-case Southern Rail franchise and instead giving them a free pass to dump staff and wreck services with the public purse carrying all the financial risks.
· Failure to be in the country when the latest fare increases were announced earlier this month – choosing instead to fly off to the warmer climate of Qatar.
· Failure to follow up the PR spin about the “Northern Power House” – choosing instead to axe electrification projects and allow the Region’s train operators to throw the guards off their trains in the name of profit.
· Failure to deal with the on-going East Coast Main Line fiasco and choosing instead to line up a £2 billion bail-out from the public purse for Virgin/Stagecoach.
· Failure to take action to stop the decimation of bus services which has consigned whole communities to a future of transport poverty. General Secretary Mick Cash said:
“Many, including plenty from Chris Grayling’s own side, are asking just how long this can go on? RMT welcomes the fact that Mr Grayling is being called in to account for his actions over cancelled rail electrification projects but that is only one issue where he should be under forensic investigation.
“RMT has tried repeatedly to engage with the Transport Secretary. He has failed repeatedly to listen to the genuine concerns of front-line transport workers. That is a major reason why he continues to blunder on from one crisis to the next.
“The continuing failures on Britain’s transport services shame the nation and the buck stops with the Transport Secretary.”
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: chris grayling, transport secretary, ecml. east coast, virgin, stagecoach, northern powerhouse
- RMT suspends Stagecoach South West strike action tomorrow
- As Southeastern passes into public ownership today, RMT reveals true cost of private sector failure
- RMT Scotrail members continue their battle today as Scottish rail workers step up fight for pay justice during COP26
- As Southeastern fails RMT calls for end to privatisation
- RMT strike on Stagecoach South West goes ahead