3 March 2016
DEFENDING JOBS ON LONDON UNDERGROUND
Our Ref: LUL/14/5
3rd March 2016
EVERY JOB MATTERS – DEFENDING JOBS ON LONDON UNDERGROUND
As you will be aware, the new operating model in respect of Fit for the Future - Stations commenced on 7th February 2016 and I have received a resolution from our Central Line East Branch regarding this matter, which is as follows:-
“We note the following problems on the ‘vanguard groups’ (ie. those on which Fit for the Future – Stations has already been implemented) in our Branch’s area:
1. Cash handling devices (CHDs) not functioning properly
2. Insufficient training for staff on CHDs, Fire Panels, etc.
3. Insufficient ‘live learning’ for staff taking up new grades
4. Lengthy queues for ticket machines
5. Lack of places of safety on the unpaid side of the ticket barrier
6. iPads not working; staff not properly trained to use them; apps not fully developed or not working
7. Outstanding individual appeals and grievances
8. Insufficient notice of duties
9. Rosters that do not allow regular refamiliarisation
10. Staff allocated duties at stations that they are not licensed to work at
We therefore ask the Union to:-
1. Provide advice and support to members on the ‘vanguard groups’ (Central Line East, Leytonstone, King’s Cross) to refuse to carry out duties for which they are not trained, or which are unsafe or otherwise unsuitable
2. Ballot members on these groups for industrial action short of strike, so that they may take appropriate action over these and similar issues, to be followed by a similar ballot of all station staff after consultations with their Branches and Reps”
RMT is committed to remaining vigilant to the consequences and any adverse impact that the implementation of Fit for the Future – Stations may have on members. The above resolution was sent for the attention of your RMT Lead Officer and the concerns raised by the Central Line East Branch are receiving attention. The National Executive Committee has noted that there are on-going negotiations at Company Council Sub-Group Level, that local station reps have been released to pass on information and that there is also a dedicated Stations Functional Council Rep who is giving specific support to the three vanguard groups.
I will of course keep you advised of all further developments.