30 June 2020
RMT Press Office
FERRIES Union RMT today responded with concern at Danish operator DFDS’s announcement of 650 redundancies, including on ferry routes from the UK.
RMT Senior Assistant General Secretary, Mick Lynch said:
“On top of P&O Ferries attacks on British crews, this is another kick in the teeth for struggling port communities, particularly in Humberside.
“DFDS have received Critical Freight Grant and furlough money from the taxpayer but is attempting to cut back UK ferry capacity in what is becoming a grimly familiar tale for our members.
“We must see travel restrictions lifted as early and as safely as possible but we must also see the Government take responsibility and protect the future of British Ratings or our coastal towns and cities will bear the brunt of the economic fall out from Covid-19.”
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
- RMT calls for an end to the charade of rail privatisation
- RMT urges greater awareness for Seafarer's Mental Health
- RMT demands Government support to protect jobs at Eurostar
- RMT says future government support for rail services must not be tied to cuts
- RMT Demands Pension Justice for Maritime Workers