18 August 2017
RMT Press Office
RMT confirms a further two days of strike action on Arriva Rail North in guards' safety dispute
Rail union RMT has confirmed that a further two days of strike action on Arriva Rail North will go ahead on Friday 1st September and Monday 4th September as the company continues to resist all efforts to make progress in the long-running dispute over rail safety and the head-long dash towards Driver Only Operation.
The union said it was angry and frustrated that the company has blocked any chance of making progress in talks with General Secretary Mick Cash this morning.
The company have made it clear again that they are not prepared to discuss the core issue of the second safety-critical person on their trains and will only meet to discuss the terms of the RMT’s surrender on the fundamental issue of Driver Only Operation. A stance that the union has slammed as a total disgrace.
As well as digging their heels in on the crucial issue of the guarantee of a second safety critical member of staff on their trains the company continue to plough on with plans to introduce a minimum of 50% driver controlled operation across the franchise upon the introduction of the new rolling stock without agreement and in the teeth of opposition from the public, politicians and their own staff.
Political support continues to grow for RMT’s campaign against the dangerous, cash-led DOO proposals and it has been a significant issue throughout the general election campaign.
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:
“Yet again this morning we have been confronted with the sheer intransigence of Arriva Rail North and that means that we have no option but to confirm a further round of strike action . The responsibility for the inevitable disruption lies wholly with the company. We are angry and frustrated that Arriva continue to fail to face up to the facts and also continue to ignore a perfectly reasonable union proposal to invite the DfT to join us in round table talks aimed at finding a solution.
“The public, who support RMT’s campaign for a guarantee of a guard on their trains, will be appalled that Arriva Rail North have failed yet again to offer any kind of progress whatsoever in the talks and have instead opted to try and bulldoze through their plans regardless. It is that flagrant disregard for the safety issues at the heart of the dispute which leaves us with no option but to press on with the campaign of strike action.
“RMT commends our Arriva Rail North Members on their rock solid display of strength, resolve and unity during the action so far in opposition to the introduction of driver controlled operation and defence of the guards to guarantee a safer, securer and more accessible railway for all. We have no doubt that they our members will remain united and determined as we prepare for the next phase of action in a fortnight.
“The union continues to remain available for meaningful discussions with the company in order to seek a satisfactory resolution to the on-going dispute.”
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: Arriva Rail North, Guards, Dispute
- RMT analysis reveals it's one rule for the bosses another for the frontline workers at Abellio Scotrail
- As pubs reopen RMT calls for respect for safety and staff on the transport network
- RMT calls on National Rail Enquiries and Train Operating Companies to ensure accessibility for their website
- Third day of strike action by ScotRail conductors
- Third day of RMT ScotRail action