25 March 2015
RMT Press Office
Leeds protest this Friday against the Northern and Transpennine tender documents
RMT will hold protests outside a meeting of the West Yorkshire Combined Authority in Wellington Street, Leeds at 10am on Friday March 27 against Northern and Transpennine Express tender documents which includes the introduction of Driver Only Operation and other dangerous cuts.
RMT general secretary Mick Cash warned that the leadership of West Yorkshire Combined Authority was supporting the cuts despite the fact that most individual councillors are probably not aware of what it is being done in their name.
"These plans are being spun by Nick Clegg and the Tories in a pre-election stunt that they claim will modernise rail services in the North when in reality they will condemn passengers to poor quality, unsafe and destaffed services for years to come.
"The tender documents allow bidders to axe guards and move to Driver Only Operation, compromising safety in the interests of private profit.
"RMT is calling for a commitment from Labour that they will scrap the Northern rail carve up plans if elected and the union will make the continuing fight for jobs, safety and services a key election issue,” he said.
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: Northern & Transpennine, Franchise, Protest
- RMT calls on London Mayor
- Transport union RMT responds to Government net zero strategy
- As Southeastern passes into public ownership today, RMT reveals true cost of private sector failure
- RMT Scotrail members continue their battle today as Scottish rail workers step up fight for pay justice during COP26
- RMT suspends Stagecoach South West strike action tomorrow