Our Ref: BR2/1/10
12th December 2018
Penalty Fares Agreement, Loss Prevention Officers – Arriva Rail North
After lengthy and prolonged discussions, the company and your representatives were negotiating the introduction of a Penalty Fares Scheme. This also included an associated remuneration package for undertaking training and the issuing of these penalty fares. The offer was outlined as follows:-
“The scheme is divided into two parts:
1. £200 index linked allowance payable 4 weekly.
2. £725 annual bonus payable upon achieving ticketless travel targets in recognition of work carried out by the LPO’s on Penalty Fares in 2019. The first years bonus will be paid (subject to targets been met) in two instalments; September 2019 and March 2020.
* Bonus payments will be made annually in March thereafter.
* Bonus payments will be paid by region, therefore only those regions who meet the targets will receive the bonus – this will be reviewed after 6 monthly.
* The targets set will not be on an individual basis but as a regional team.
* Payments for part-time staff will be made on a pro-rata basis.”
The National Executive Committee has considered this matter and believes that agreeing this offer would constitute to an endorsement of performance related pay in relation to penalty fares. Therefore, I have informed the company that we have rejected their proposals. I am currently seeking further discussions with the company on this issue.
I trust this keeps you fully advised and I will inform you of any further developments on this issue when they arise.