TO ALL FLEXI AND FIXED TERMINAL OPERATIVES AT HEYSHAM PORT
Our Ref: SH/16/3
24th November 2020
POTENTIAL REDUNDANCIES AND RESTRUCTURING - HEYSHAM PORT (PEEL PORTS)
You will recall when I wrote to you in June due to the impact of the coronavirus there was the possibility of redundancies at Heysham Port. I can now report since my last letter your union has been in continued negotiations with Peel Ports over this matter. Substantial progress has been achieved in these talks and following on from these negotiations the company has tabled the following pay offer:-
- 2% uplift for all Flexi and Fixed Terminal Operatives backdated to 1st October 2020.
Upon acceptance of this pay offer all operational staff will no longer be at risk of redundancy.
In addition to the pay award the company has proposed to combine the Flexi and Fixed Terminal Operatives grades into a single “Terminal Operative Grade”.
- A new revised salary of £26,778.37p.
- Reduction of Working Week from 37hours to 35hours no loss of pay.
- Current Hourly Rate: Fixed = £13.51 Flexi = £15.13 – New Hourly Rate for Terminal Operative Grade £14.71.
- Annual Leave to be 23 days inclusive of bank and public holidays.
- Shift Pattern – Fixed Pattern based on one in work, one day off work and will be as close to 4 on, 4 off as possible, negotiated in line with RMT Collective Bargaining Agreement combing all current shifts into one roster.
- Mitigation for current flexi terminal operatives only, to remain on a 37 hour week until 1st June 2021 at which point a review will take place which may lead to an extension, at a salary of £28,308.56p with 25 days annual leave per annum pro rata as required.
- The Terminal Operative Grade will provide a better work life balance for current Flexi Terminal Operative Grade, giving 78 additional rest days and a 35 hour working week.
- Continuation of Work Agreement remains in place for all on-12 hour shifts.
- Current Job Share arrangements of 2 in 6 off shift pattern remains in place.
- 3 weeks notice where possible of planned shifts to be given to Operatives on permanent cover (lines 49 to 52)
- Minimum of two days notice to be given to all other cover shifts.
Following on from this initial proposal the employer has made the following amendments and clarifications:-
- The option for current flexi operatives to remain on 37 hours with a review for 1st June 21, has been removed and will now cease on 1st June 21, the additional hours for flexi operatives will require the working of 4 additional 12 hours shifts over a 24 line roster cycle, for which 3 weeks notice will be given where possible.
- Holidays for current flexi operatives remaining on a 37 hour week until 1st June will be 24 days equivalent of 25 days pro rata.
- Job Share - reworded from 2 days in 6 days off to two days off for everyday in work
- Shift Start and Finished Times have been agreed and are attached
- The proposed roster applicable from 1st January 21, is also attached, the cover hours are 64 hours, Terminal Operatives will be required to work a maximum of 8 out of 9, wherever possible notice to be given to all cover shifts on or before last working day prior to cover shift, with a minimum of 2 days notice.
Your National Executive Committee (NEC) has considered the offer and it has instructed me to hold an electronic referendum so that you can have your chance to have your say on the pay offer. A full copy of the company’s proposals is available on the voting site and I urge you to take part in this referendum.
Your National Executive Committee (NEC) has considered the offer and it has instructed me to hold an electronic referendum so that you can have your chance to have your say on the pay offer. A full copy of this is available on the voting site and I urge you to take part in this referendum.
Electronic Referendum Instructions
You will shortly receive an email from a company called “Election Runner” which will allow you to register your vote. Please follow the instructions and make sure you complete this by no later than complete this by no later than 10:30 hours on Tuesday 1st December 2020 when voting closes.
If you think you have not received the email from “Election Runner”, please could you check your junk or spam folders on your email account.
If you know any of your colleagues who hasn’t received this email, or if you have any difficulties voting please email firstname.lastname@example.org
VOTE ‘YES’ TO ACCEPT THE OFFER