Our Ref: BR2/0001/SWR(D)
31st March 2020
Rates of Pay & Conditions of Service 2019 – South Western Railways Drivers
In line with Union Policy a pay claim for an increase in pay and improved terms and conditions has been submitted. Despite our best efforts, the company refused to allow your negotiating team into the pay talks for the driver grade and final offer was only sent to RMT once it had been released to another union’s members. The offer is as follows:-
A four-year pay offer for a Driver (Fully Trained and Productive)
· An April 2019 basic salary of £53,393, an increase of 3.04%.
· An April 2020 basic salary of £59,450, an increase of 11.34%.
· An April 2021 basic salary of £65,000, an increase of 9.34%.
· An April 2022 basic salary of £67,000, an increase of 3.08%.
· The effective date for the pay award is 7 April 2019 and the increase in each subsequent year will be effective from the first Sunday in April of that year.
· Overtime rates remain unchanged.
The increase in basic rates of pay, in each year of this offer, will be to the figure detailed in this letter or an increase in basic rate of pay equivalent to RPI (with the reference RPI being February of each respective year), whichever is the greater. All percentage pay increase figures are rounded to two decimal places.
This offer incorporates the initiatives detailed in the attached document ‘Drivers Pay 2019’ (a copy is enclosed with this communication)and includes full Driver Controlled Operation (DCO) with the guarantee of a guard on all passenger services. Drivers terms and conditions will be amended to reflect that the normal method of operation will be Driver Controlled Operation.
The Retention Allowances will be introduced in the second year of the deal, i.e. with effect from 5 April 2020 and will be as follows:
• £2,500 Tier 1
• £1,250 Tier 2
Regional Allowances, Retention Allowances, Driver Instructor Daily payments and Leading Driver payments will increase in each year of the deal in line with the reference RPI figure for February of that year.
The amount of the annual DI Allowance will continue to equate to 5% of the annual salary for a Fully Trained and Productive Driver.
Trainee Driver rates of pay will increase by the percentage pay increase pertaining to that year, in each year of the deal. The April 2019 increase is 3.04% and accordingly, the rates effective from 7 April 2019 will be as follows:
REVISED BASIC SALARY FROM 7thAPRIL 2019
Trainee Driver (On commencement of Driver Training Course)
Trainee Driver (On Successful Completion of Induction and Rules Training)
Trainee Driver (On Successful Completion of Driver Training Course but Outstanding Route or Traction Training Required)
· The pay increase will apply to pensionable pay from 07 April 2019. Pension contributions on this rate of pay will be payable from 1 July 2019.
· Pension contribution arrears payable from 1 July 2019 will be taken from the arrears of pay. This pay award is subject to the pensionable pay cap of RPI+0.25% which applies to all pay increases, excluding non-pensionable amounts, in any given year (April to March).
· The pay award above this amount will be pensionable for future service only.
The offer contains a method of operation of DCO (see highlighted paragraph) therefore as this is against union policy, the offer has been rejected by your union’s National Executive Committee (NEC). The company has been informed of our rejection accordingly.
The NEC has also instructed me to seek legal advice asd to whether you and your colleagues could have any legal claim against the company for not including the RMT within the negotiations and this offer could be imposed on them even when your Union has rejected it.
I will keep you advised of further developments.