28th February 2020
Rates of Pay & Conditions of Service 2020-Great Western Railway
Further to my recent correspondence dated 25th February 2020 I am writing to provide you with an update following a meeting held with Great Western Railway on Thursday 27th February 2020 in relation to the above-mentioned matter.
At the meeting with was also attend by representatives from our Sister Trade Unions your RMT negotiating team outlined the RMT pay submission seeking improvements in the following areas:
1. A substantial pay award
2. A minimum flat rate increase for those on the lowest salaries
3. Reduction in the working week
4. Increase in annual leave allocation
5. Harmonisation of Bank Holiday, Christmas/ New Year Working Arrangements
6. No Compulsory Redundancies
7. Ending the practice of permanently managed vacancies
9. Family friendly policies
10. Equality in the workplace
11. Final Salary Pension provision
12. Substantial increase in London and South East Living Allowance
13. Full travel facilities for all
Unfortunately, I must report to you that despite the continued persistence of all of the Trade Unions the company was not at this stage prepared to make any formal offer. This was due to the pending decision on the future of the franchise with the company stating that their remit from the Department for Transport (DFT) was “to talk at this stage and not make any offer.”
This I am sure you will agree was extremely frustrating however the company has committed to discuss all elements of the pay submissions with the DFT with a further meeting to be arranged in due course.
RMT remains committed to achieving the best possible award for our members during these negotiations and we will continue to press the company in this regard.
I will of course keep you informed of any further developments concerning these negotiations.
RMT Relief Regional Organiser (South)
Tel: 0117 925 5018
Mobile: 07766 020531
28th February 2020