Interim letter advising members of next strike dates
Our Ref: BR2/0146
12th July 2018
ROLE OF THE GUARD & EXTENSION OF DOO – SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAY
I am writing in relation to the above matter, as you are aware the union entered into talks with the company to try and come up with a meaningful resolution to this dispute and on the three points of agreement which were:-
1) The Scope of Safety Critical Training
2) Reducing Service Disruption caused by Guard non-availability
3) Retention of a Second Safety Critical person as part of our discussions and agreements on the future operating arrangements, in conjunction with all grades affected.
On the last day of talks the company had no proposals to give to our negotiating team. South Western Railway during the talks clearly stated that they planned to run trains on the whole of their network as DOO when the Guard or Commercial Guard is not available. As you are aware, the union’s policy is no extension of DOO and we cannot expect SWR’s plans to introduce DOO across their Network.
The National Executive Committee has considered this matter and has expressed their dismay at the company’s latest offer. Therefore, the NEC believes that the only way to resolve this dispute is to call further industrial action. The NEC is instructing you and your colleagues not to book on for any shifts that commence between:-
• 0001 Hours and 2359 hours on Thursday 26th July 2018
• 0001 Hours and 2359 Hours on Saturday 28th July 2018
• 0001 Hours and 2359 Hours on Tuesday 31st July 2018
• 0001 Hours and 2359 Hours on Saturday 4th August 2018
• 0001 Hours and 2359 Hours on Saturday 11th August 2018
• 0001 Hours and 2359 Hours on Saturday 18th August 2018
• 0001 Hours on Friday 31st August 2018 and 2359 Hours on Saturday 1st September 2018
Please note that this is an interim letter and the National Executive Committee has asked me to further outline our views of the talks and supply all the minutes from the meetings and the offer from SWR. I will endeavour to get this to you by next Wednesday 18th July 2018.
I urge you and your colleagues to continue with your magnificent support and to stand up to the company’s destructive plans to introduce DOO. We must stand shoulder to shoulder and not allow the company to put profit before safety. I trust this keeps you fully advised and I will write to you again in due course once further information has been received.