24 February 2020
RMT Press Office
RMT announces further two days of strike action on SWR over Guard guarantee
Rail union RMT has confirmed a further two days of strike action will take place on South Western Railway after Guard members voted for industrial action for an historic sixth time.
The company’s unremitting failure to give assurances that their new operational model won't move to Driver Controlled Operation – with the role of the guard butchered completely – means the union has again been left with no choice but to call further strike action in defence of the safety critical role of the Guard.
Therefore, our South Western Railway Guard, Commercial Guard and Train Driver members are instructed not to book on for any shifts that commence between:
• 10.00 hours on Monday 9th March 2020 until 09.59 hours on Tuesday 10th March 2020
• 10.00 hours on Thursday 12th March 2020 until 09.59 hours on Friday 13th March 2020
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:
“Our members have been left with no choice but to call a further 2 days of strike action on South Western Railway.
“They have shown an incredible amount of solidarity and voted for industrial action for an historic sixth time in one of the union’s longest running disputes.
“We are appalled by management's bullying and harassment tactics in their attempt to get our members return to work. The company's constant barrage of lengthy letters every time our Guard members take legal and legitimate industrial action is intimidating, degrading, humiliating and offensive. RMT will not tolerate our members being bullied or intimidated by any company at any time whether we are in dispute or not.
“I want to congratulate our members on their continued resolve in their fight for safety and the role of the guard on SWR. It is wholly down to the management side that the core issue of the safety critical competencies and the role of the guard has not been agreed.
“The union remains available for talks.”
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
- RMT calls new Serco Caledonian Sleeper strike dates
- Edinburgh Rail Gourmet staff strike to go ahead tomorrow
- RMT guards to bring negotiating table to East Midlands Railway
- RMT says action going ahead in four separate disputes on Scotland's railways
- RMT strike on SERCO Caledonian Sleeper goes ahead