30 August 2017
RMT Press Office:
RMT calls on Transport Secretary for full disclosure of reported deal with Aslef on Southern Rail
Rail union RMT has today written to Transport Secretary Chris Grayling calling for full disclosure of the details after hearing reports that a deal had been agreed between ASLEF and Southern/GTR in the Driver Only Operation dispute.
With Southern staff taking a further phase of strike action on Friday and Monday RMT is calling again for round table discussions around the reported agreement between our sister union and the company.
In the letter to Chris Grayling, RMT General Secretary Mick Cash says:
Further to my letter of the 17th August 2017 where I requested that we both meet again I am now hearing reports that a deal has been agreed with Aslef and GTR regarding the Driver Only Operation dispute.
Any deal reached with Aslef will have had to be approved by yourself as you are directing this dispute and we understand you have agreed the deal.
For our part, and I am sure for all train crew staff and passengers, the deal will be welcomed if it guarantees a second safety critical member of staff on board every train.
I hope you agree that to avoid any confusion and to provide clarity and certainty to train crew and passengers we need to ensure that this deal is acceptable to all parties.
Whilst this latest development reinforces my belief in the need for a four way meeting between RMT, Aslef, GTR and the Government, I hope you agree that at the very least you and I should meet, as we had previously agreed to do following our last discussions.
I look forward to hearing from you so we can meet as a matter of urgency and ensure the passengers and the workforce have a safe secure, accessible, and efficient service as possible.
RMT General Secretary, Mick Cash said:
“We cannot have a situation where RMT guards and driver members are being forced to take further industrial action on Southern from Friday while the company, with we assume the approval of the Transport Secretary, are off cutting reported deals which have a clear relevance to our dispute.
“That is a nonsense and reinforces RMT’s call for round table discussions.
“It is imperative that Mr Grayling and his contractors, GTR, give full disclosure to the deal that has been put together and engage with us in further face to face talks aimed at reaching a safe and sustainable solution to this long-running dispute.”
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: southern, southern rail, gtr, aslef, transport secretary, chris grayling, doo, driver only operation, guards, conductors
- RMT steps up fight for rail jobs as Grand Central confirms savage cuts
- RMT Leader Mick Cash responds to Chris Grayling appointment
- RMT to step up fight over jobs, pay and conditions
- RMT reaction to LUL plans to refuse cash for ticket purchases
- RMT to lead fight against transport austerity in the wake of COVID pandemic