22 May 2019
RMT Press Office:
RAIL Union RMT today called for the nationalisation of British Steel warning that the Government washing their hands of the company could jeopardise ongoing rail projects and put the future in the hands of overseas companies.
General Secretary Mick Cash said;
“RMT is deeply concerned that the collapse of British Steel without the government lifting a finger to support the company will jeopardise UK rail projects both now and into the future.
“British Steel’s product is long steel track for Network Rail and the loss of the company would likely mean that the future of Britain’s railways maintenance, upgrades and expansion, including expenditure in CP6 and on HS2, will be reliant on foreign steel imports.
“British Steel should be nationalised. If it was good enough for the banks then it’s good enough for steel making in the UK and the jobs and infrastructure it supports.”
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: british steel, network rail, hs2, cp6
- RMT Scotrail members continue their battle today as Scottish rail workers step up fight for pay justice during COP26
- RMT suspends Stagecoach South West strike action tomorrow
- As Southeastern passes into public ownership today, RMT reveals true cost of private sector failure
- RMT strike on Stagecoach South West goes ahead
- As Southeastern fails RMT calls for end to privatisation