21 December 2020
RMT Press Office:
RMT calls for urgent Government support to protect Eurostar and ferry jobs and services as COVID crisis deepens.
RMT calls for urgent Government support to protect Eurostar and ferry jobs and services as COVID crisis deepens
Eurostar and ferries union RMT called today for urgent and decisive Government action to support and protect thousands of jobs caught in the crossfire of the closures to UK traffic across Europe overnight.
General Secretary Mick Cash said;
"Thousands of workers on Eurostar, on the ferries and at our ports have been caught in the crossfire of the border crisis that has developed overnight and escalated this morning.
"RMT is calling for an urgent package of Government support and protection for the staff and services impacted by the decision to suspend operations.
"We will be looking for emergency tripartite talks with the employers and Government to ensure that the practical and financial underpinning required is made available without delay. "
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
- RMT warns Government won’t cut carbon emissions by cutting public transport services
- RMT launches 'No Cuts at Network Rail' campaign
- RMT response to RAIB interim report into Carmont tragedy
- Fourth day of strike action by Scotrail conductors
- RMT analysis reveals it's one rule for the bosses another for the frontline workers at Abellio Scotrail