18 March 2016
RMT Press Office:
RMT has condemned the decision by Transport for London to hand the busy London Overground service over to failing rail privateer Arriva, a subsidiary of the German state railway Deutsche Bahn.
RMT general secretary Mick Cash said that it was ludicrous to hand LOROL services over to the German state as Arriva have just had their contract for the Tyne and Wear Metro ripped up with that service being taken into direct public control from April next year.
“The German state has openly admitted that it will be using profits from foreign franchises to run rail services in Germany.
“It appears that this government is happy for other states to make profits from our rail network but not this state,” he said.
A German Transport spokesperson stated last year:“ We're skimming profit from the entire Deutsche Bahn and ensuring that it is anchored in our budget - that way we can make sure it is invested in the rail network here in Germany”.
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: london overground, lorol, deutsche bahn, arriva
- RMT London Overground Protest to take place on Monday 28 June
- RMT research reveals high productivity levels of TFL staff as Government threaten savage cuts and attacks on workforce as part of finance deal
- RMT pledges all-out fight to protect pensions at TfL
- RMT on reports tonight that Government are threatening a total takeover of TFL
- Cross Country Franchise extension