9 March 2018
RMT Press Office
RMT confirms further 48 hours of strike action on Northern Rail in fight over guards and rail safety
RAIL UNION RMT today confirmed that a further 48 hours of strike action on Northern Rail over attacks on the role of the safety-critical guard and the extension of Driver Only Operation in the name of increased profits will go ahead as follows:
Members are instructed not to book on for any shifts that commence between:-
• 0001 Hours and 2359 hours on Monday 26th March 2018
• 0001 Hours and 2359 hours on Thursday 29th March 2018
The union has also demanded tripartite talks with the company and the DfT aimed at reaching a solution.
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:
“Every single effort that RMT has made to reach a negotiated settlement with Northern Rail over safe operation and safe staffing has been kicked back in our faces. No one should be in any doubt, this dispute is about putting the safety of the travelling public before the profits of the private train companies.
“It is frankly ludicrous that we have been able to negotiate long-term arrangements in Scotland and Wales that protect the guards and passenger safety but we are being denied the same opportunities with rail companies in England.
“Theresa May and Chris Grayling are happy to stand aside and cheer on overseas rail companies that rip-off the British passenger with eye-watering far increases to subsidise their domestic transport operations while throwing the guards off our trains. If it’s good enough for Wales and Scotland to put safety first then it’s good enough for the rest of the UK.
“RMT remains ready for the tripartite talks we have suggested.”
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: Northern Rail, DOO, Dispute
- Action solidly supported again today on East Midlands Railways as company continue to flout normal safety rules
- As East Midlands train managers prepare to strike again this weekend the union raises yet more serious safety concerns over strike-breaking operation
- RMT confirms Serco Caledonian Sleeper strike dates
- RMT demands end to CalMac pandemic pay betrayal
- RMT announces dispute with Stena Line over pandemic sick pay