10 June 2015
RMT Press Office
RMT demands public inquiry by UK and Scottish Governments into Abellio after scandal rocks Dutch rail outfit.
RMT has written to the UK and Scottish Governments calling for a full inquiry into the involvement of the Dutch state railways subsidiary, Abellio, in rail contracts on the Anglia and Northern rail franchises and the Scottish Government’s Scotrail franchise.
The call comes after it was revealed that the Chief Executive of Dutch railways has resigned in a scandal relating to a new contract to provide trains in Holland, with reports of dawn raids on Dutch railways and the Dutch government questioning how the company and some of its senior officials have been operating.
The scandal has also seen the removal of and an investigation into the chief executive of Abellio who are bidding to take over the Northern Rail and Anglia franchises and who last year were awarded the lucrative Scotrail franchise by the Scottish Government.
General Secretary Mick Cash said;
“If the Dutch Finance Minister believes the whole culture in Dutch state railways /Abellio is wrong and needs to change, RMT believes there needs to be a full inquiry and for it to be clearly shown that there was nothing irregular with the award of the Scotrail franchise to Abellio or in respect of Abellio bidding for the Northern and Anglia franchises”.
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
- RMT calls on London Mayor
- Transport union RMT responds to Government net zero strategy
- As Southeastern passes into public ownership today, RMT reveals true cost of private sector failure
- RMT Scotrail members continue their battle today as Scottish rail workers step up fight for pay justice during COP26
- RMT suspends Stagecoach South West strike action tomorrow