21 July 2016
RMT Press Office:
RMT dismisses half-hearted, belated apology from "muppet" transport official.
RAIL UNION RMT has dismissed as "too little, too late" an apology that was dragged out of senior DfT official Peter Wilkinson at the Transport Select Committee yesterday following remarks he made at a Tory beano back in February where he called rail workers "muppets" and boasted that he wanted a "punch up" with the rail unions.
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said;
"This grudging, half-hearted apology is too little, too late from a senior Government official who chose a Tory Party beano to let the cat out the bag about the industrial blood-bath he was gearing up for our railways.
"The apology rings hollow as it is exactly the Wilkinson Strategy which is wrecking jobs, services and safety from the tip of Scotland to the South Coast.
"This bloke is still calling the shots and if you want to see his plans in action look no further than Southern and Scotrail. We don't want his half-baked apologies, we want him to call off the dogs and get back to serious industrial relations. "
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: peter wilkinson, dft, transport select committee, doo, driver only operation, southern, scotrail
- RMT calls on London Mayor
- Transport union RMT responds to Government net zero strategy
- As Southeastern passes into public ownership today, RMT reveals true cost of private sector failure
- RMT Scotrail members continue their battle today as Scottish rail workers step up fight for pay justice during COP26
- RMT suspends Stagecoach South West strike action tomorrow