13 March 2017
RMT Press Office
RMT Northern Rail action "absolutely rock solid" in fight for safety. Picture attached from Wigan
General Secretary Mick Cash said;
"RMT's action on Arriva Rail North this morning is absolutely rock solid and determined as our members fight for passenger safety and the retention of the guard on the Northern Rail services. Our pickets are out across the franchise and the response has been fantastic.
"Arriva Rail North should listen to their staff, listen to the public and recognise that there is no case whatsoever for axing the guard from their trains.
"This action could have been avoided if Arriva hadn't back pedalled from earlier pledges to retain the guard. It is now down to the company to get that pledge back on the table and engage with the union in talks over a safe and sustainable future built around the guarantee of a guard on the trains."
Press picture attached. Credit: RMT.
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
- RMT calls for Govia to be stripped of GTR franchise
- Action solidly supported again today on East Midlands Railways as company continue to flout normal safety rules
- As East Midlands train managers prepare to strike again this weekend the union raises yet more serious safety concerns over strike-breaking operation
- RMT demands action from safety regulator
- RMT guards to bring negotiating table to East Midlands Railway
- RMT calls on London Mayor
- Transport union RMT responds to Government net zero strategy
- As Southeastern passes into public ownership today, RMT reveals true cost of private sector failure
- RMT Scotrail members continue their battle today as Scottish rail workers step up fight for pay justice during COP26
- RMT suspends Stagecoach South West strike action tomorrow