26 March 2018
RMT Press Office
RMT Northern Rail strikers standing firm again this morning in fight for rail safety
General Secretary Mick Cash said;
"RMT members are standing firm and united again this morning on picket lines across Arriva Rail North as the fight for rail safety the length and breadth of the franchise enters it's second year.
"It is a tribute to the determination and professionalism of RMT members that they have remained rock solid for over a year now in what is a battle to put public safety before private profit.
"German-owned Northern Rail want to run half a million trains a year without a safety critical guard on board in a move that would wreck both safety and access to services and they should listen to their front-line staff and pull back from that plan immediately.
"RMT has agreed arrangements in Wales and Scotland that enshrine the guard guarantee. If it's good enough for Wales and Scotland to have safe rail services it should be good enough for the rest of Britain. ARN should get out of the bunker and start talking."
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: Northern Rail, DOO, Dispute
- Action solidly supported again today on East Midlands Railways as company continue to flout normal safety rules
- As East Midlands train managers prepare to strike again this weekend the union raises yet more serious safety concerns over strike-breaking operation
- RMT confirms Serco Caledonian Sleeper strike dates
- RMT demands end to CalMac pandemic pay betrayal
- RMT announces dispute with Stena Line over pandemic sick pay