12 April 2018
RMT Press Office:
RMT on hostile takeover bid for First Group by US private equity group Apollo Management
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said;
"This looks like yet another bunch of speculators and asset strippers homing in on the British transport sector.
"First have been propped up by the Government on the Great Western routes for many years now and are currently in dispute with this trade union over the threat to axe guards on South Western Railway. Where this hostile bid leaves their UK bus and rail operations is anyone's guess.
"The only solution to this kind of uncertainty and instability is public ownership and the threat of a US-based hostile takeover of First Group just reinforces that core message."
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: First group, south western railway, great western, apollo managment
- Transport union RMT responds to Government net zero strategy
- RMT suspends Stagecoach South West strike action tomorrow
- As Southeastern passes into public ownership today, RMT reveals true cost of private sector failure
- RMT Scotrail members continue their battle today as Scottish rail workers step up fight for pay justice during COP26
- RMT strike on Stagecoach South West goes ahead