13 April 2018
RMT Press Office:
Transport union RMT pledges "total solidarity" with striking French rail workers
TRANSPORT UNION RMT today pledged “total solidarity” with striking rail workers in France in their fight to defend jobs, workers’ rights and the principle of a publicly-owned railway.
Members at the union’s train crew conference, meeting in Aberystwyth, have confirmed the support and General Secretary Mick Cash has sent the following message to the CGT union in France:
“I am writing to inform you that members of the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) representing Guards, Shunters and Train Drivers meeting today in Aberystwyth at the union's annual train crew conference called for "total solidarity" with striking French railworkers. We wholeheartedly support you and your efforts in taking rolling strike action in defence of jobs, workers' rights and France's publicly-owned railway.”
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said;
“RMT is sending total solidarity and support today to our brothers and sisters in France fighting in defence of jobs, workers’ rights and the principle of a publicly-owned railway.
“After more than two decades of exploitation and profiteering on Britain’s railways since privatisation we know exactly what is at stake in France right now and we are proud to convey our full backing to the unions involved in the struggle.”
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: cgt, france, rail workers, rail privatisation
- Transport union RMT responds to Government net zero strategy
- RMT suspends Stagecoach South West strike action tomorrow
- As Southeastern passes into public ownership today, RMT reveals true cost of private sector failure
- RMT Scotrail members continue their battle today as Scottish rail workers step up fight for pay justice during COP26
- RMT strike on Stagecoach South West goes ahead