30 September 2020
RMT Press Office:
Commenting on the announcement that the DfT is trialling the UK’s first hydrogen powered train, RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:
“Expanding the UK’s manufacturing base for hydrogen trains could help support the decarbonisation of the transport sector and our economic recovery from Covid-19.
“It is absolutely vital that all the manufacturing is carried out domestically. Government investment in the UK’s rail manufacturing sector would create new skilled jobs and boost the economy as part of our green economic recovery from Covid-19.
“Rail is already an energy efficient, low carbon transport mode, and has an integral role to play in the decarbonisation of the transport sector. In addition to investment to boost the train manufacturing sector, significant Government investment is needed to make our rail services more frequent, affordable, accessible and safer to use to enable the UK to meet its carbon reduction targets.”
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: Hydrogen Powered Trains, UK Manufacturing, Green Jobs
- RMT slams Trump hypocrisy
- RMT demands Government and local council support for COVID-battered taxi trade
- Cross Country Franchise extension
- RMT condemns attempts to sail the detained Ben Nevis from Aberdeen in flagrant breach of international maritime law
- RMT condemns Avanti West Coast over proposals to axe key jobs in Birmingham