30 July 2020
RMT Press Office
RMT Senior Assistant General Secretary Mick Lynch said;
“The Just Transition Commission is absolutely right to prioritise maritime infrastructure and manufacturing investment alongside a skills transition bridge in areas like decommissioning, essential to keep offshore oil and gas workers in employment. But the economic recovery from Covid-19 must include rail.
“The Scottish Government should use the remaining Emergency Measures period to prepare to bring Scotrail back into public ownership from September. This would prevent mass job losses, a shrinking passenger and freight network and a climate catastrophe from increased car use.
“We need stronger policies than those recommended in this report if we are to deliver the just transition and green recovery which we all support.”
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: Just Transition, Covid-19
- RMT responds to Inquiry into Sumburgh helicopter tragedy
- RMT slams Trump hypocrisy
- Cross Country Franchise extension
- RMT demands Government and local council support for COVID-battered taxi trade
- RMT condemns attempts to sail the detained Ben Nevis from Aberdeen in flagrant breach of international maritime law