23 May 2018
RMT Press Office:
General Secretary Mick Cash said;
“RMT policy is for a national integrated railway under public ownership and the Welsh government has made it clear that this is their aspiration as well if they did not have to work under the pro privatisation legislative straight jacket imposed by the UK Government.
"The fact that rail privatisation is being enforced on the people of Wales by Whitehall is even more galling when the Tories have been forced to nationalise East Coast and the Westminster Cross Party Public Accounts Committee have said the rail franchising model is broken.
"However, RMT welcomes the fact that despite these constraints the Welsh Government has committed to keep a guard on every train alongside other commitments to work with RMT to protect jobs and conditions of rail workers in Wales.”
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: rail privatisation, wales, guards, tory government
- RMT says strike action on Cross Country trains solidly supported in all depots today
- RMT says strike action on Cross Country trains goes ahead from tomorrow after company snub settlement in last ditch talks
- RMT calls strike action on Cross Country trains from Christmas eve over attack on the guards’ grade
- RMT on award of Chiltern Railways contract to Arriva
- Government confirms the great Northern rail betrayal