5 August 2021
RMT Press Office:
RMT slams government hypocrisy over rail Covid Heroes who now face a pay freeze.
RAIL UNION RMT has slammed the rank hypocrisy of Boris Johnson and his government after they lauded Avanti West Coast staff as Covid Heroes at a Downing Street reception yesterday whilst at the same time driving a pay-freeze for those very same workers that will hammer down their standards of living.
General Secretary Mick Lynch said;
"Of course rail workers who have kept Britain moving throughout this pandemic at great personal risk are heroes. That goes without question.
"But I tell you this, you don't repay those you laud as heroes one day with a pay freeze that will hammer down their standard of living the next.
"That pay freeze for covid-hero rail staff is being driven by the government themselves. Their hypocrisy is staggering. "
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: Rail Workers, Covid-19, Pay Freeze
- Transport union RMT responds to Government net zero strategy
- RMT suspends Stagecoach South West strike action tomorrow
- As Southeastern passes into public ownership today, RMT reveals true cost of private sector failure
- RMT Scotrail members continue their battle today as Scottish rail workers step up fight for pay justice during COP26
- RMT strike on Stagecoach South West goes ahead