15 November 2019
RMT Press Office:
RAIL UNION RMT has called strike action on Eurostar in its fight for Rail Gourmet caterers to be paid the London Living Wage as the company marks its 25th anniversary.
RAIL GOURMET (EUROSTAR CONTRACT) WORKERS ARE INSTRUCTED NOT TO BOOK ON FOR ANY SHIFTS THAT COMMENCE BETWEEN:-
• 00:01 HOURS ON THURSDAY 28TH NOVEMBER 2019 AND 23:59 HOURS ON FRIDAY 29TH NOVEMBER 2019.
Rail Gourmet workers are the last group of workers on Eurostar to be paid below the London Living Wage. The company wants to withhold the uplift in wages and leave these workers on poverty pay until January 2021.
Meanwhile Eurostar and catering contractor Rail Gourmet bosses are paid big salaries and both companies make good profits.
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:
“As Eurostar celebrates its 25th anniversary as a successful company making good profits we call on the company to mark the occasion by ending the disgraceful exploitation of its workers by taking action to implement the London Living Wage for all its staff.
“It is a scandal that the workers employed by outsourcing firm Rail Gourmet, who provide catering services on Eurostar, are struggling to make ends meet.
“Both Eurostar and Rail Gourmet make healthy profits and it is an outrage that the workers who make those profits are forced to survive on poverty pay.
“The union remains available for talks.”
Notes for Editors
For details of the London Living Wage see here https://www.livingwage.org.uk/calculation
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: eurostar, rail gourmet, caterers, london living wage,
- Tube cleaning contract puts cost-cutting and profits before safety
- RMT calls for an end to the charade of rail privatisation
- RMT demands Government support to protect jobs at Eurostar
- RMT urges greater awareness for Seafarer's Mental Health
- RMT says future government support for rail services must not be tied to cuts