8 February 2021
RMT Press Office:
RMT statement on Welsh government taking the Wales and Borders rail franchise into public ownership.
Commenting on the announcement that the Welsh government is taking the Wales and Borders rail franchise into public ownership, RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:
“This is a welcome and timely development and RMT will continue to make sure that the staff at the frontline of this new arrangement are properly looked after and properly rewarded.
“It also makes a mockery of the continued refusal to bring Scotrail under public ownership and the halfway house in England that allows private companies to extract profits although the services are under de facto public ownership. That nonsense needs sorting out sharpish.”
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: Transport for Wales, TfW, Welsh Government, Welsh Railway
- RMT warns Government won’t cut carbon emissions by cutting public transport services
- RMT launches 'No Cuts at Network Rail' campaign
- RMT response to RAIB interim report into Carmont tragedy
- Fourth day of strike action by Scotrail conductors
- RMT analysis reveals it's one rule for the bosses another for the frontline workers at Abellio Scotrail