4 November 2016
RMT Press Office
RAIL UNION RMT said today that strike action by guards on Southern Rail in the dispute over safety and access is solidly supported across all routes this morning in the teeth of a company campaign of threats, intimidation and bullying.
Mick Cash, RMT General Secretary, said:
“Despite a vicious campaign of company bullying, threats and intimidation the strike action on Southern this morning remains absolutely rock solid.
“Passengers know that Southern Rail under GTR is an unmitigated disaster that puts profits before public safety. That is the issue at the core of this dispute.
“The solution to this dispute can be achieved easily through a cast-iron guarantee of a second, safety-critical member of staff on all current services with a guard.
"Once again this morning the union is demanding that Transport Secretary Chris Grayling gets out of his bunker, gets hold of this basket-case company and gets round the table for serious negotiations.”
Picture from Selhurst Depot picket line this morning attached. Credit: RMT.
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: Southern, GTR, Guards Dispute
- RMT calls on National Rail Enquiries and Train Operating Companies to ensure accessibility for their website
- As pubs reopen RMT calls for respect for safety and staff on the transport network
- Third day of strike action by ScotRail conductors
- Third day of RMT ScotRail action
- London Labour politicians support bringing Tube cleaners back in-house