20 December 2019
RMT Press Office
Tyne and Wear Metro strike action rock solid this morning in fight for workplace justice and pay equality
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said;
“Our members are standing rock solid this morning and the wholesale shutdown of services is entirely due to NEXUS who have made no effort to resolve this dispute.
“The company attitude shows nothing but contempt for our reasonable and justifiable claim which would provide flexibility for the introduction of the new rolling stock whilst seeing a fair increase in salary levels and a reduction in the working week for Traincrew grades. Management have rejected our proposals out of hand claiming there is no money which is total nonsense.
“Instead of trying to reach an agreement in this dispute the company have instead used their energy and money to use lawyers to try to challenge the legitimacy of our ballot and to turn up the heat. This in addition to the punitive measures where they have started to decline lieu days clearly demonstrates an appalling attitude from the company towards our members who are quite rightly incensed.
“RMT will not allow this sheer contempt for our members’ aspirations to continue and that is why RMT Traincrew members at Nexus are taking industrial action for 48 hours from one o’clock this morning. The union remains available for talks.”
Want to receive updates from us? Subscribe to a mailing list
Tagged with: Tyne & Wear Metro, Nexus
- Transport union RMT responds to Government net zero strategy
- As Southeastern passes into public ownership today, RMT reveals true cost of private sector failure
- RMT Scotrail members continue their battle today as Scottish rail workers step up fight for pay justice during COP26
- RMT suspends Stagecoach South West strike action tomorrow
- As Southeastern fails RMT calls for end to privatisation